Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Counsel from an Anglican bishop...


This evening I had the pleasure of meeting and chatting with a hero of mine, Bishop Gene Robinson, the first out gay man ordained a bishop in the Anglican (Episcopal) Community. Bishop Robinson was in town attending Sundance where a movie about his life has been screened. He was visiting a mutual friend in the Avenues and I was lucky enough to be invited to meet him.

Bishop Robinson is a wonderful man, down to earth, gregarious, and fascinating, yet gentle, kind, and Christ-like in demeanor. He spoke assuredly about the progress LGBT people have made and optimistically about our future—particularly our future as men of faith.

As we discussed the current attitude and perspective of the leaders of the LDS Church, Bishop Robinson was pleased to hear of my continued connection with the LDS Church and my assurance that in time the Church would come to accept gay and lesbian members in full fellowship. He then told me something that touched me and gave me pause.

He said, “I’m glad you are remaining with the Church, because it is from within that you can most ably be an influence for real progress. When people sever ties, either forcibly or voluntarily, their power to move our work forward diminishes. If you want change to occur, stay. Stay as long as you can, as difficult as it might be, but stay.”

To be honest, Bishop Robinson’s counsel gives me much to think about, much to pray about…

4 comments:

  1. Fascinating comment. I am inspired. Happily married now to my husband for 6 months. Active and hoping to remain a member of the LDS church after next month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cool you got to chat with him! Gene Robinson is a big name.

    He's got a good point, though there's a lot of power outside the lines as well. Think how the Restoration departed from the established religions, or how we left the madre country during the Revolutionary War, or a whole lot of other revolutionaries who broke from the establishment rather than working from the inside.

    On the matter of LGBT progress in Mormondom, I think there is ample room for both stripes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wow. I want to meet him, too. Lol. So cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is power in staying, and there is power in leaving. My recommendation is to do what you need to do for yourself, whatever that decision is.

    ReplyDelete